Synthetic, also known as Composite, cedar shake or slate shingles offer all of the aesthetic appeal of classic cedar shake or slate roofing at a more reasonable price and they’re a lot easier to install. These shingles are made with strength and durability in mind. To top it all off, these shingles are essentially maintenance free, which is a huge benefit for homeowners.
Typically, composite shingles are made from a combination of plastic and rubber, which is designed to mirror the look of authentic slate without any of the headaches. Composite shingles may also be made with asphalt, wood, laminate, or similar materials for added durability. All composite shingles typically come with a 50-Year Lifetime Warranty from the manufacturer and are Class IV impact-resistant rated for hail.
Benefits of Composite Roofs
- Durability: Composite shingles are designed to offer superior protection. They hold up well to extreme weather and will not crack, split, peel, or warp. If a composite shingle does become damaged, it can be replaced individually without damaging the surrounding shingles.
- Resistant to Moisture, Fire, and UV Rays: Many composite shingles contain additives to prevent the growth of moss or algae and reduce UV degradation. They are also resistant to fire.
- Environmentally Friendly: Some composite shingles are composed partly of recyclable materials such as post-industrial plastics and hemp fibers. Due to their long lifespan, composite shingles don’t need to be replaced as frequently, which cuts down on re-roofing and waste being added to landfills.
- Versatility: Composite shingles are available in a wide variety of colors, shapes, and sizes. Many composite shingles mimic other types of roofing materials, making it easy to achieve the appearance you want without compromising on durability, longevity, or price.
- Affordability: Once you factor in their longevity, composite roofs are very reasonably priced.