An Explanation of Slate Roofing Tiles
Slate roofing is one of the most valued features a home can have on today’s real estate market. Houses with slate shingles tend to attract lots of attention from prospective homebuyers. Slate is valuable because of its longevity and aesthetic appeal. In fact, slate can last for more than a century and match with virtually any style of architecture. Historic homes will often have slate roofing tiles. However, there some drawbacks to consider, as well just as any other roofing material will have. Our professional Project Managers are able to help you assess any roofing option you are considering by weighing the positives and negatives.
- Appearance: First and foremost, homeowners are drawn to slate because of its beauty. There simply isn’t a roofing material on the market that has more classic, elegant curb appeal. Slate roofing tiles offer more choices than most homeowners realize, available in varying sizes and thicknesses, as well as a wide range of colors, including gray, green, purple, black, red, and mottled tiles that sport several colors mixed together.
- Longevity: Slate roofs can and should be routinely built to last at least a century. In fact, 150 years is a reasonable expectation of a roof’s longevity if the roof is properly constructed and maintained. Slate will not rust or attract mold and can withstand hail and high winds.
- Fire Resistance: Slate roofing is one of the most fire resistant roofs that exist. Unlike many other roofing materials, slate tiles themselves are completely fireproof.
- Environmentally Friendly: Roofing waste accounts for more than 5 percent of the total waste sent to landfills across the nation every year. Since the majority of that roofing waste can be attributed to asphalt shingle roofing that needs replacement every 20 to 30 years, it’s easy to see the positive environmental impacts of installing a roof that is going to last 100 years or more.
- Professional Availability/Poor Installation: There are very few companies in our area that have the experience and expertise when handling slate tiles. The vast majority of roofing contractors know very little about slate roofing. St Joseph’s Roofing has more than 28 years of experience with slate roofing. Whether you select St Joseph’s Roofing for your slate roofing project or not, please make sure that when you have a slate roof installed or maintained, that the work should only be done by roofing professionals with extensive backgrounds in the application of slate. This qualifier is crucial, considering the special handling required for slate shingles. A roofer with little or no knowledge of slate is liable to make mistakes during an installation that could lead to costly problems soon after completion.
- Cost Prohibitive: Slate roofing is expensive; the cost can approach five times the amount of other standard roofing materials and that’s only the initial cost of installation, which leads us to the next drawback…
- Durability: Slate tiles are fragile and can easily be broken, which can be a big negative for homeowners. Replacing slate tiles isn’t easy work either. Slate roof maintenance is labor intensive and requires more slate tiles than what has been initially damaged. Even the most experienced slate tile roofer will break a few tiles en route to fix the ‘actual’ broken tiles. Unfortunately, this is unavoidable. Slate tiles are batched together in lots, which makes it nearly impossible to find replacement tiles that are a perfect match.
- Weight: The weight of slate roofing tile can range anywhere between 800 and 1,500 pounds per square (100 square feet). As such, you’ll need to have your residence evaluated from a structural standpoint before you install slate roofing tile on your home to make sure it can take the weight.
St Joseph’s Roofing is one of the few companies in our area with the experience and expertise in Slate Roofing that can tackle any roof structure. You can rest assured that your new slate roof will not only outlast you, but future generations, as well.
Our Service List
From top-rated roofing services to siding and gutters, there’s only one contractor in the region that can tackle it all at great prices – St. Joseph’s Roofing. Get in touch today for the best service money can buy. Our services include:
Our Service Areas
St. Joseph’s Roofing services a wide-ranging area in Northern Virginia and Maryland. We have listed all of the counties and cities we frequently service to give you an idea of our reach. If you do not see your location listed, call (703) 716-7663 to see if we can help you.
Counties in Virginia and Maryland:
Fairfax County, Va | Arlington County, Va | Loudoun County, Va | Prince William County, Va | Montgomery County, MD
Cities We Serve in Virginia:
Alexandria, Va | Annandale, Va | Arlington, Va | Ashburn, Va | Bristow, Va | Burke, Va | Centreville, Va | Chantilly, Va | Clifton, Va | Fairfax Station, Va | Fairfax, Va | Falls Church, Va | Gainesville, Va | Great Falls, Va | Lake Ridge, Va | Leesburg, Va | McLean, Va | Middleburg, Va | Oakton, Va | Potomac Falls, Va | Reston, Va | Springfield, Va | Vienna, Va
Cities We Serve in Maryland:
Bethesda, Md | Cabin John, Md | Chevy Chase, Md | Glen Echo, Md | Olney, Md | Potomac, Md | Rockville, Md
#1 In Northern Virginia & Maryland
St. Joseph’s Roofing offers the finest roofing and roofing-related services available in Northern Virginia and Maryland. With more than 25 years in business, we know what it takes to exceed expectations and our results, well, they speak for themselves. Our motto is simple – clients should never be overcharged through deceit. Honesty is the best policy. If that sounds good to you then call (703) 716-7663 for a free estimate today!